In 1858, the French invaded Da Nang, causing the royal court to fall, and resulting in the colonization of six southern provinces. France began colonial exploitation, turning Vietnam into their slaves. By the early 20th century, Vietnamese society (then part of French-ruled Indochina) began to change. In urban areas, a new class of entrepreneurs emerged.

Hanoi boasted large stores such as Dong Loi Te, Hong Tan Hung, and joint venture companies including Quang Hung Long and Dong Thanh Hung. Nghe An had Trieu Duong trading house; Quang Nam had Quang Nam Consultation Company; Saigon and Can Tho had Nam Dong Huong, Minh Tan craftmanship communes. And, particularly in Phan Thiet, there was the Lien Thanh company, founded in 1906. Lien Thanh Trading House was initially established by Nguyen Trong Loi, Nguyen Quy Anh (who were the sons of patriotic poet Nguyen Thong), Ngo Van Nhuong, Ho Ta Bang, Nguyen Hiet Chi, and Tran Le Chat. The company’s General Headquarters was located in Thanh Duc village, which is now known as relic number 306 Tran Hung Dao, Phan Thiet City, Binh Thuan.

The founders, who were progressive and patriotic officials and scholars, were influenced by new ideas from Europe and the West through published books and newspapers. In Phan Thiet, Lien Thanh Company used profits from fish sauce production to sponsor Duc Thanh school where revolutionary poetry was taught. During that time, the founders were not just focusing on economic activities, they were also dedicated to bringing about socio-cultural reform in line with the Duy Tan movement’s three-point action platform, which included “Improving the intellectuals- rebuilding the people’s spirit- supporting the people’s life.” Lien Thanh Trading House was one of the three organizations that had interrelated cultural, political, and economic functions.

– Duc Thanh School, founded in 1907, educates children of patriotic and underprivileged workers with progressive content.

– Lien Thanh Library was established in 1905 to disseminate literature with patriotic content.

– Lien Thanh Trading House was established on June 6, 1906, to raise funds for economic activities and create employment opportunities.

During that era, the primary industries in Indochina’s industry and commerce were under the control of French capitalists and overseas Chinese. In this scenario, Lien Thanh Trading House made a strategic decision to focus on producing and trading fish sauce, a relatively small business line that was not yet dominated by foreign capitalists.

In 1922, Lien Thanh Trading House conducted business in fish sauce, hotel services, traditional medicine, and fabrics.

In the early stages of its formation, Lien Thanh enjoyed favorable conditions due to the support of people who sympathized with the Duy Tan movement and the French envoy in Binh Thuan, Claude Leon Lucien Garnier, who was known for his liberal views. This support helped Lien Thanh to grow and develop during its initial years.

In 1909, Lien Thanh Thuong Quan rented a house at 1/2/3 Quai Testard and opened a business in Saigon. In 1911, Nguyen Trong Loi passed away and was replaced as Attorney General by Ho Ta Bang. During the period of suppression of the Duy Tan movement and constant harassment of Lien Thanh, he managed to successfully steer the company through difficult times.

In 1917, Mr. Nguyen Quy Anh was elected as the General Manager, and Mr. Ho Ta Bang took on the position of Parliamentary Secretary, which made him the Chairman of the Board of Directors. They officially moved the General Department to Cho Lon and purchased another plot of land in Khanh Hoi to build a warehouse for storing fish sauce. At this time, the Company’s capital had reached 93,200 Indochina silver coins. In 1919, Nguyen Quy Anh passed on the role of General Attorney to Tran Le Chat, who continued to lead Lien Thanh into a period of flourishing development.

In 1922, the company built its headquarters in Khanh Hoi and moved the headquarters from Cho Lon to here. In Marseille, France, Lien Thanh fish sauce caused a stir when it participated in a colonial exhibit in the same year. Gradually expanding its network, Lien Thanh company added branches in Phan Thiet, including the provincial capital and Phu Hai. Mui Ne, Hung Long (Phan Thiet), Phan Ri, Hoi An, with fish sauce distribution areas in many central and southern provinces, even including Cambodia and even some European regions.

After the death of Mr. Tran Le Chat in 1969, Mr. Huynh Van Dau took over as the Chairman of the Board of Directors. In 1979, he decided to donate the company to the State with the condition that he be allowed to keep the name Lien Thanh along with the altar of the six founders.

After being nationalized, Lien Thanh’s branches located in the provinces were transformed into local state-owned fish sauce establishments. Similarly, the Phu Hai fertilizer factory was converted into Phu Hai Fertilizer State-owned Enterprise. Moreover, Lien Thanh’s headquarters in Saigon was merged with nine private fish sauce production enterprises situated in the area to form Lien Thanh Fish Sauce State-owned Enterprise. Finally, in 1990, the company’s name was changed to Lien Thanh Seafood Processing Enterprise. In 2001, Lien Thanh Seafood Processing Enterprise was equitized based on the State’s policy and subsequently renamed Lien Thanh Seafood Processing Joint Stock Company, a name that it still bears today.

Lien Thanh Company, from its establishment until 1975, was acknowledged for providing substantial financial support to various movements such as the Duy Tan movement, the Dong Du movement, the Vietnam Independence Front, and the Viet Minh and National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam.


Lien Thanh Company has these important anniversaries:

  1. The anniversary of the Company’s founding is celebrated every year on June 6th.
  2. Mr. Nguyen Trong Loi often traveled due to his work arranging and developing Mui Ne. He traveled up to 33 kilometers along winding cliffs by road, sometimes traveling from early morning until midnight to arrive. Later, the paved road was shortened to 22 kilometers. On June 17, 1911 (lunar calendar), he passed away due to exhaustion from taking care of the company affairs. Every year, Lien Thanh Company celebrates the founders and stops production on the 17th day of the 6th lunar month. Lien Thanh Company observes this day as the death anniversary of its founders and those who inherited the company but have passed away.